WELCOME TO MY BLOG!!

WELCOME to A STEP INTO ENGLISH. With this blog you will improve you English in an easy way. You can work a lot of activities in different levels. I HOPE YOU LIKE IT!!

lunes, 10 de noviembre de 2014

BASIC LESSON, VERB TO BE

To Be - Affirmative

Subject To Be Examples
I am I am from New Zealand.
You are You are Chilean.
He is He is twenty years old.
She is She is a nurse.
It is It is a big dog.
We are We are intelligent.
You are You are students.
They are They are married.

To Be - Contractions

Contractions of To Be are very frequent when we are speaking.
To Be Contraction Examples
I amI'm I'm from New Zealand.
You areYou're You're Chilean.
He isHe's He's twenty years old.
She isShe's She's a nurse.
It is It's It's a big dog.
We are We're We're intelligent.
You are You're You're students.
They are They're They're married.

To Be - Negative Sentences

The negative of To Be can be made by adding not after the verb.
Subject To Be Examples
I am not I am not from Spain.
You are not You are not Australian.
He is not He is not thirty years old.
She is not She is not a secretary.
It is not It is not a small cat.
We are not We are not stupid.
You are not You are not teachers.
They are not They are not single.

To Be - Negative Contractions

There are two ways of forming contractions of To Be in negative sentences. One is with a contraction of the subject and the verb (e.g. I am = I'm) OR a contraction of the verb and not (e.g. are not = aren't)
I'm not from Spain. -----------------*
You're not Australian.OR You aren't Australian.
He's not thirty years old.OR He isn't thirty years old.
She's not a secretary.OR She isn't a secretary.
It's not a small cat. OR It isn't a small cat.
We're not stupid.OR We aren't stupid.
You're not teachers.OR You aren't teachers.
They're not single.OR They aren't single.
* Notice that the only possible contraction for I am not is I'm not.

To Be - Questions

To create questions with To Be, you put the Verb before the Subject.
Affirmative Youare happy.
Subject Verb  
 
Question Areyou happy?
Verb Subject  

Affirmative Question
I am intelligent.Am I intelligent?
You are a student.Are you a student?
He is a pilot.Is he a pilot?
She is from Spain.Is she from Spain?
It is a big house.Is it a big house?
We are ready.Are we ready?
You are doctors.Are you doctors?
They are rich.Are they rich?

To Be - Short Answers

In spoken English, we usually give short answers in response to questions.
Are you a student? - Yes, I am (a student). The last part (a student) is not necessary. We use shorts answers to avoid repetition, when the meaning is clear.
Question Short Answers** Short Answers
Am I intelligent?Yes, you are.No, you aren't.
Are you a student?Yes, I am.No, I am not.
Is he a pilot?Yes, he is.No, he isn't.
Is she from Spain?Yes, she is.No, she isn't.
Is it a big house?Yes, it is.No, it isn't.
Are we ready?Yes, we are.No, we aren't.
Are you doctors?Yes, we are.No, we aren't.
Are they rich?Yes, they are.No, they aren't.
** With To Be, We don't use contractions in affirmative short answers unless there is additional information after it (in which case they are no longer considered short answers).


EXCERCISES:



1.  Chose the correct form of the verb to be - am/is/are.
  1. It_____ cold today.

  2. I _____at home now.

  3. They_____ Korean.

  4. There______ a pen on the desk.

  5. My name_____ Nikita.

  6. We______from Ukraine.

  7. That_____ right.

  8. I _____ OK, thanks.

  9. Clara and Steve______married.

  10. She_______ an English teacher.




2.  Click on the words in the correct order to make
positive sentences with the verb to be.










4  This my book. is





























No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario